Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I LOVE BOOK CLUB!

I absolutely love book club! Thanks Sara for starting it up again for 2008! It has been a great excuse to make time for reading again! Once a month I look forward to getting together with a group of women (most of them I have only met on a few occasions) sharing a glass of wine and hearing so many different opinions on the book we read that month. It is so funny how we are all so different yet each one of us brings such a unique view of the book and the world. There are definitely some intellects in our group, and some comedians as well, and then their are people like me who sit quietly for the most part and will throw out the occasional comment here and there :) I like to take it all in and hear everyone's ideas and stories.

I will try and post our book each month! I know I am always looking for a great read so this might be helpful to others!

I love doing things like this. I always wished I had a hobby but never got into anything, so this will be like my hobby.

This month we are reading A Long Way Gone by Ishamel Beah! It is a truly heart wrenching story of courage and will! I am only half way done right now but it is a very good book. I think it is hard sometimes because we tend to live in our own little world and we don't want to know what is going on in other countries. But I truly believe Knowledge is Power and the more we know about topics like these the more we can start doing something about them.
Here is the review of the book!


A gripping story of a child’s journey through hell and back.
There may be as many as 300,000 child soldiers, hopped-up on drugs and wielding AK-47s, in more than fifty conflicts around the world. Ishmael Beah used to be one of them. He is one of the first to tell his story in his own words.
In A LONG WAY GONE, Beah, now twenty-six years old, tells a riveting story. At the age of twelve, he fled attacking rebels and wandered a land rendered unrecognizable by violence. By thirteen, he’d been picked up by the government army, and Beah, at heart a gentle boy, found that he was capable of truly terrible acts. Eventually released by the army and sent to a UNICEF rehabilitation center, he struggled to regain his humanity and to reenter the world of civilians, who viewed him with fear and suspicion. This is, at last, a story of redemption and hope.





MARCH'S BOOK


February's book was Eat, Pray, Love! If any of you watch Oprah you may have seen Elizabeth Gilbert on her show as this was an Oprah Book Club pick! I absolutely LOVED this book! I laughed and I cried. I thought Gilbert was so raw sometimes and so inspiring. I related to her anxiousness of being alone. She was such a relate-able character to me. She is extremely witty and extremely like-able. I would recommend this book to all women young and old!

Here is the review!
A Starred Review. "Gilbert, author of The Last American Man (2002) and a well-traveled I'll-try-anything-once journalist, chronicles her intrepid quest for spiritual healing. Driven to despair by a punishing divorce and an anguished love affair, Gilbert flees New York for sojourns in the three Is. She goes to Italy to learn the language and revel in the cuisine, India to meditate in an ashram, and Indonesia to reconnect with a healer in Bali. This itinerary may sound self-indulgent or fey, but there is never a whiny or pious or dull moment because Gilbert is irreverent, hilarious, zestful, courageous, intelligent, and in masterful command of her sparkling prose. A captivating storyteller with a gift for enlivening metaphors, Gilbert is Anne Lamott's hip, yoga-practicing, footloose younger sister, and readers will laugh and cry as she recounts her nervy and outlandish experiences and profiles the extraordinary people she meets. As Gilbert switches from gelato to kundalini Shakti to herbal cures Balinese-style, she ponders the many paths to divinity, the true nature of happiness, and the boon of good-hearted, sexy love. Gilbert's sensuous and audacious spiritual odyssey is as deeply pleasurable as it is enlightening." by Donna

FEBRUARY'S BOOK

2 comments:

sara said...

You're quite welcome, I love it, too. Eat, Pray, Love was without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read. I am about halfway through A Long Way Gone...and I agree, heavy and sad...but a truth, nonetheless.

sara said...

sorry, the above comment is mine...