Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Water For Elephants

As most of you all know I enjoying reading! I started really reading for pleasure around the time I was 21 and was dealing with my first panic/anxiety attacks. Reading to me became away to calm and relax my anxieties and kind of escape into a whole other world of characters and story lines. I love starting a book and I am often sad when I have to say goodbye to the characters I have grown to love and hate. I love throwing myself into the characters and pretending I am right there with them thru every adventure. I love the way that reading can take my mind off of even the most worrisome thoughts and just for a moment make me forget about all of my own problems.

Over the year with my book club I have read several books that I have really liked and would recommend to most people. I loved Eat, Pray, Love and I really enjoyed 19 minutes but recently I have read a book that I just enjoyed every minute of reading. It seems as if I enjoy most of the books I read but from time to time you come across a book that you just want everyone that you know to read and for me this book right now is "Water for Elephants". I can't really pin-point why I like this book so much but all I know is that by the end of the book I was so committed and intertwined with these characters that I did not want the story to end. This book details one man's story into the "circus" life in the 1920's. What a fascinating time for the circus! This is truly and awesome book and one that I totally recommend any and everyone to read!!!

Water for Elephants

As a young man, Jacob Jankowski was tossed by fate onto a rickety train that was home to the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth. It was the early part of the great Depression, and for Jacob, now ninety, the circus world he remembers was both his salvation and a living hell. A veterinary student just shy of a degree, he was put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie.
It was there that he met Marlena, the beautiful equestrian star married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. And he met Rosie, an untrainable elephant who was the great gray hope for this third-rate traveling show. The bond that grew among this unlikely trio was one of love and trust, and, ultimately, it was their only hope for survival.



No comments: